Going away for a long deserved vacation? Congratulations! You couldn’t be more excited when you start packing your suitcase, but how to do it properly? Those who travel less often usually overpack and bring a lot of unnecessary stuff with them and eventually don’t use it. This stuff just takes up the space in the suitcase that could be used for all those beautiful and authentic things and souvenirs they have bought abroad.
- For short getaways (a week or less), try to pack all your stuff in a small suitcase that you can carry on-board your flight. You really don’t need more than that, moreover, it helps saving your time in airports.
- Have you gathered everything you’d like to bring with you? Now, leave behind half the stuff and bring twice the money. Buy yourself something new on your vacation.
- Pack some old socks, underwear and t-shirts and throw them away after wearing to free up space for your purchases.
- Fold and roll your clothes; stuff shoes with small items, e.g. socks and underwear: this will not only save space but also help keeping the right shape of shoes.
- Pack light and compact items that can be combined instead of bulky and non-compatible. If you choose 2 similar items, bring the one that’s more lightweight and doesn’t crease. Wear the cumbersome items like sneakers and warm jacket on-board your flight.
- It’s recommended to keep the following accessories in your hand luggage: a sleep mask, earplugs, a wide scarf (or sarong), foldable shoes (ballerinas):
- The first two will help to relax and sleep in a plane or hotel, despite the noise and light.
- The wide scarf (or a sarong) can be used as a blanket in a plane or to cover your shoulders in a restaurant.
- The foldable ballerinas allow bringing less pairs of shoes and will relieve the pain of sore feet caused by other shoes.
- Bring a pair of comfy fleece socks on long flights, so you can take your shoes off on a plane. These socks can be also used instead of slippers when you are in a hotel.
- Pack your stuff in plastic zip bags. This will help keeping them in order. If you have more than one destination throughout your journey and will be unpacking each time, plan things in advance and pack stuff separately for all your destinations, one bag for each, in order to avoid repeatedly unpacking and packing many times.
- Refill travel-size bottles for shampoo and conditioner. Place plastic wrap over the bottles to avoid leaks and spills in the suitcase.
- Leave heavy books and magazines home, including the bulky travel guides. Upload all necessary data, guides, books and reading material on your tablet or e-book reader. However, keep your little travel notebook and pen in your bag for those inspiring moments or when you want to take notes.
- Traveling with your partner? Divide your stuff and put half in their suitcase. Do the same with their stuff. If you lose one suitcase (it happens), you will both have something to wear.
- Remember to put at least one pair of clean underwear, a t-shirt, a mini toothbrush, toothpaste and a roll-on deodorant in your hand luggage. If your flight gets diverted to a different airport due to bad weather or if it is delayed, you will be able to use a shower at the airport and change your clothes.
- Bring an extension cord with multiple sockets and universal plug for charging all your gadgets simultaneously.
- Make hard copies of your documents (the passport, visas, tickets, reservations). Take pictures with your phone of your documents and contents of your suitcases. Send all these pictures to your email address in case you lose all your stuff at once (it is highly unlikely but precautions are recommended).
- Last but not least, keep on being yourself when you’re traveling and don’t leave your favorite jewelry home. Express yourself wherever you go, get inspired by our Wanderlust Collection.